CHICAGO (NBCWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers
Association (NCBWA) released its National Hitter and Pitcher of the
Week awards for the period ending March 23.
Tulane junior first baseman Michael Aubrey (Shreveport, La.) was
named the National Hitter of the Week, while Southwest Texas junior RHP
Tom Robbins (Georgetown, Texas) won the Pitcher of the Week honors.
The NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference each
week and names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Aubrey hit .765 (13-for-17) in four Tulane wins last week, posting a
1.412 slugging percentage and a .789 on-base percentage. He had a pair of
four-hit games and a three-hit outing and scored at least one run in each
game, finishing with eight total. Aubrey had two doubles, three home runs
and 10 RBI, while also walking twice. In addition to the impressive performance
at the plate, Aubrey showed good speed with three stolen bases, and played
flawless defense with 40 putouts and one assist. For the year, he is hitting
.500 (49-for-98) with 11 doubles, seven home runs and 41 RBI. Aubrey also
has eight stolen bases, and is currently on a 12-game hitting streak.
Robbins started his first career game as a Bobcat Tuesday at No. 11 Texas.
He stymied the Longhorn bats, giving up only two hits and one run in five
innings of work, striking out three to lead Southwest Texas to a 3-1 victory
over the defending national champions. After winning over the Longhorns,
Robbins earned a spot in the weekend rotation and pitched a big win on Sunday
in the rubber match against McNeese State, 4-3. In eight innings, he allowed
two runs on four hits, while striking out eight. The two wins last week
were the first for Robbins in 11 appearances since transferring to SWT from
Tyler Junior College.
2003 NCBWA Players of the Week:
• Feb. 4: Ryan Baty, Kansas (Hitter); Jered Liebeck, Arizona State (Pitcher)
• Feb. 11: Jonny Kaplan, Tulane (Hitter); Wes Littleton, Cal State Fullerton (Pitcher)
• Feb. 18: Travis Metcalf, Kansas (Hitter); Sean Rierson, Arizona (Pitcher)
• Feb. 25: C.J. Smith, Florida (Hitter); Kyle Sleeth, Wake Forest (Pitcher)
• March 4: Jeff Cook, Southern Miss (Hitter); Alan Johnson, Mississippi State (Pitcher)
• March 11: Ronnie Prettyman, Cal State Fullerton (Hitter); Jeff Garner, Central Michigan (Pitcher)
• March 18: Anthony Raglani, George Washington (Hitter); Jarrett Gardner, Arkansas (Pitcher)
• March 25: Michael Aubrey, Tulane (Hitter); Tom Robbins, Southwest Texas (Pitcher)
• April 1: Ryan Braun, Miami, Fla. (Hitter); Matthew Luca, UNLV (Pitcher)
• April 8: Mike DeLorenzo, Saint Joseph's (Hitter); Wade Townsend, Rice and Dennis Bigley,
Oral Roberts (Pitcher)
• April 15: Matt Lauderdale, College of Charleston (Hitter); Scott Lewis, Ohio State and
Greg Prenger, Ohio State (Pitcher)
• April 22: Neil Sellers, Eastern Kentucky and Taylor Eckel, Toledo (Hitter); Glen Perkins, Minnesota (Pitcher)
• April 29: Jordan Foster, Lamar (Hitter); Stephen Head, Ole Miss (Pitcher)
• May 6: Ryan Garko, Stanford and Mike Costello, Towson (Hitter); Matt Torra, Massachusetts (Pitcher)
• May 13: Phil Rothkugel, Central Connecticut (Hitter); Jered Weaver, Long Beach State (Pitcher)