CHICAGO (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers
Association (NCBWA) has released its Division III National Hitter
and Pitcher of the Week awards for the period ending April 13.
Wisconsin-Stevens Point junior 1B Ryan Jones was named the National
Hitter of the Week, while Tufts senior Jon Lee won the Pitcher of
the Week honors. A panel of Division III NCBWA members reviews candidates
from each Division III Conference each week and names winners each Tuesday
throughout the season.
Jones, a native of Eau Claire, Wis., hit .543 (19-for-35) with 21 runs
scored as the Pointers won all nine WIAC games this week. Jones crushed
five home runs, including a pair in an 8-7 come-from-behind win over UW-Whitewater.
He also hit a grand slam against UW-Superior. For the week, Jones totaled
17 RBIs, four doubles, two stolen bases, and had 79 chances in the field
without committing an error.
Lee earned both victories in Tufts' double-header sweep at Bowdoin on
Saturday. He went the distance in game one, allowing three hits, one run
and no walks in seven innings. Lee started game two and went six innings,
allowing no runs and two hits with no walks. In all, the Manhasset Hills,
N.Y., native pitched 13 innings allowing one run (0.69 era), five hits (.116
batting average) and no walks while striking out six.
2003 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• March 11: Brad Franklin, Guilford (Hitter); Dustin Jones, Bridgewater (Pitcher)
• March 18: Elliot Strader, Hardin-Simmons (Hitter); Dennis Reilly, Lebanon Valley (Pitcher)
• March 25: Vince Mancuso, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (Hitter); A.J. Hatton, Worcester State (Pitcher)
• April 1: Ron Hayward, William Paterson (Hitter); Nick Secchini, College of Staten Island (Pitcher)
• April 8: Ian Harden, Cornell College (Hitter); Matt DeSalvo, Marietta (Pitcher)
• April 15: Ryan Jones, Wisconsin-Stevens Point (Hitter); Jon Lee, Tufts (Pitcher)
• April 22: Kyle Wilkins, Ithaca (Hitter); Julius Jenkins,
College of New Jersey (Pitcher)
• April 29: Nolan Neiman, DeSales (Hitter); Sean Lindstrom, St. Thomas (Pitcher)
• May 6: Jeff Flegler, Cortland (Hitter); Marc Cahill, Southern
Maine and Joey Serfass, Eastern Connecticut State (Pitcher)
• May 13: Jon Brown, Brandeis (Hitter); Chad Cosby, Worcester State (Pitcher)