CHICAGO (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers
Association (NCBWA) has released its Division III National Hitter
and Pitcher of the Week awards for the period ending March 23.
Wisconsin-Oshkosh senior OF Vince Mancuso was named the National
Hitter of the Week, while Worcester State sophomore A.J. Hatton won
the Pitcher of the Week honors. A panel of Division III NCBWA members reviews
candidates from each Division III Conference each week and names winners
each Tuesday throughout the season.
In nine games during UW-Oshkosh's spring trip to Wichita, Kansas, Mancuso
batted 21-for-33 (.636), with five home runs, two doubles, 21 runs scored
and 16 RBIs. The Titans went 8-1 on the trip with a season-opening 43-5
drubbing over Huron University (S.D.). In that game, Mancuso went 4-for-4
with 6 RBI, two doubles and five runs scored.
Hatton pitched the Lancers to victory over a pair of top ten nationally
ranked teams. He shut out the 2002 national batting champions Aurora (No.
9) while fanning eight and allowing just seven hits and one walk. Hatton
followed that up by scattering 10 hits and yielding just two earned runs
in an 8-4 victory over No. 4 Wooster.
2003 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• March 11: Brad Franklin, Guilford (Hitter); Dustin Jones, Bridgewater (Pitcher)
• March 18: Elliot Strader, Hardin-Simmons (Hitter); Dennis Reilly, Lebanon Valley (Pitcher)
• March 25: Vince Mancuso, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (Hitter); A.J. Hatton, Worcester State (Pitcher)
• April 1: Ron Hayward, William Paterson (Hitter); Nick Secchini, College of Staten Island (Pitcher)
• April 8: Ian Harden, Cornell College (Hitter); Matt DeSalvo, Marietta (Pitcher)
• April 15: Ryan Jones, Wisconsin-Stevens Point (Hitter); Jon Lee, Tufts (Pitcher)
• April 22: Kyle Wilkins, Ithaca (Hitter); Julius Jenkins,
College of New Jersey (Pitcher)
• April 29: Nolan Neiman, DeSales (Hitter); Sean Lindstrom, St. Thomas (Pitcher)
• May 6: Jeff Flegler, Cortland (Hitter); Marc Cahill, Southern
Maine and Joey Serfass, Eastern Connecticut State (Pitcher)
• May 13: Jon Brown, Brandeis (Hitter); Chad Cosby, Worcester State (Pitcher)