CHICAGO (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers
Association (NCBWA) has released its Division III National Hitter
and Pitcher of the Week awards for the period ending March 16.
Hardin Simmons sophomore OF Elliot Strader was named the National
Hitter of the Week, while Lebanon Valley's Dennis Reilly won the
Pitcher of the Week honors. A panel of Division III NCBWA members reviews
candidates from each Division III Conference each week and names winners
each Tuesday throughout the season.
Strader made the most of his five spring break games, batting .625 (10-for-16)
with three multiple-hit games. The sophomore opened the week 6-for-10 in
his three Abilene Classic games (March 10-12), collecting two hits against
Southwestern and three vs. Montclair State. Strader closed the week hitting
.667 (4-for-6) in a pair of games against ASC West rival Howard Payne (March
14-15), including a 3-for-4 performance in the series opener.
Reilly pitched allowed just two earned runs in 14 innings pitched for
LVC last week. He fired a seven-hit complete-game victory in a seven-inning,
4-1 win over John Jay College. Against the Bloodhounds, Reilly walked only
two and struck out five while making his season debut. Reilly was just as
effective in his no-decision against the College of New Jersey, ranked No.
3 in a preseason poll. Reilly worked seven innings and surrendered just
three hits and one walk.
2003 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• March 11: Brad Franklin, Guilford (Hitter); Dustin Jones, Bridgewater (Pitcher)
• March 18: Elliot Strader, Hardin-Simmons (Hitter); Dennis Reilly, Lebanon Valley (Pitcher)
• March 25: Vince Mancuso, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (Hitter); A.J. Hatton, Worcester State (Pitcher)
• April 1: Ron Hayward, William Paterson (Hitter); Nick Secchini, College of Staten Island (Pitcher)
• April 8: Ian Harden, Cornell College (Hitter); Matt DeSalvo, Marietta (Pitcher)
• April 15: Ryan Jones, Wisconsin-Stevens Point (Hitter); Jon Lee, Tufts (Pitcher)
• April 22: Kyle Wilkins, Ithaca (Hitter); Julius Jenkins,
College of New Jersey (Pitcher)
• April 29: Nolan Neiman, DeSales (Hitter); Sean Lindstrom, St. Thomas (Pitcher)
• May 6: Jeff Flegler, Cortland (Hitter); Marc Cahill, Southern
Maine and Joey Serfass, Eastern Connecticut State (Pitcher)
• May 13: Jon Brown, Brandeis (Hitter); Chad Cosby, Worcester State (Pitcher)