DALLAS (FWAA) – Bowling Green's Janssen Patton
(Stone Mountain, Ga.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko
Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week for his performance
in the school's 34-18 victory over Northern Illinois this past Saturday.
The 6-0, 180-pound senior cornerback tied his own school record
with three interceptions. The three interceptions boosted his career
total to 18, the third-highest total in Mid-American Conference
history. Patton's seven interceptions this year are tied for the
most in Division I-A.
For the third straight season, a panel from the Football Writers
Association of America (FWAA) selects the winner of the weekly award
on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is announced
each Tuesday throughout the season.
Patton has been added to the Watch List for the 2003 Bronko Nagurski
Trophy which will be presented on Dec. 8 in Charlotte, N.C., by
the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2003 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech
• Sept. 16: Jamaal Brimmer, UNLV
• Sept. 23: Corey Webster, LSU
• Sept. 30: Usama Young, Kent State
• Oct. 7: Dave Ball, UCLA
• Oct. 14: Jorge Cordova, Nevada
• Oct. 21: Keiwan Ratliff, Florida
• Oct. 28: Janssen Patton, Bowling Green
• Nov. 4: Derrick Johnson, Texas
• Nov. 11: Erik Coleman, Washington State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club