DALLAS (FWAA) – Nevada's Jorge Cordova (Murrieta,
Calif.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National
Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the school's
28-17 victory at Washington this past Saturday.
The senior defensive end had 16 tackles (11 unassisted), 4.5
sacks (minus-26 yards), a forced fumble and a blocked field goal
attempt. His blocked a field goal was a 43-yarder that came in the
third quarter with Nevada leading 14-7 and his forced a fumble was
in the fourth quarter and was recovered by the Wolf Pack deep in
their own territory.
For the third straight season, a panel from the Football Writers
Association of America (FWAA) selects the winner of the weekly award
on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is announced
each Tuesday throughout the season.
Cordova is on the Watch List for the 2003 Bronko Nagurski Trophy
which will be presented on Dec. 8 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA
and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2003 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech
• Sept. 16: Jamaal Brimmer, UNLV
• Sept. 23: Corey Webster, LSU
• Sept. 30: Usama Young, Kent State
• Oct. 7: Dave Ball, UCLA
• Oct. 14: Jorge Cordova, Nevada
• Oct. 21: Keiwan Ratliff, Florida
• Oct. 28: Janssen Patton, Bowling Green
• Nov. 4: Derrick Johnson, Texas
• Nov. 11: Erik Coleman, Washington State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club