DALLAS (FWAA) – UCLA's Dave Ball (Dixon, Calif.)
is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive
Player of the Week for his performance in the school’s 46-16
victory over Washington this past Saturday.
The senior defensive end had six tackles (five unassisted), 4.5
tackles for loss (-19), including 3.5 quarterback sacks. He forced
two fumbles, one of which was recovered by a teammate for a touchdown.
UCLA’s defense limited Washington to 77 yards rushing, intercepted
three passes and posted four quarterback sacks and shut out the
Huskies in the second half.
For the third straight season, a panel from the Football Writers
Association of America (FWAA) selects the winner of the weekly award
on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is announced
each Tuesday throughout the season.
Ball will be added to the Watch List for the 2003 Bronko Nagurski
Trophy which will be presented on Dec. 8 in Charlotte, N.C., by
the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2003 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech
• Sept. 16: Jamaal Brimmer, UNLV
• Sept. 23: Corey Webster, LSU
• Sept. 30: Usama Young, Kent State
• Oct. 7: Dave Ball, UCLA
• Oct. 14: Jorge Cordova, Nevada
• Oct. 21: Keiwan Ratliff, Florida
• Oct. 28: Janssen Patton, Bowling Green
• Nov. 4: Derrick Johnson, Texas
• Nov. 11: Erik Coleman, Washington State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club