DALLAS (FWAA) – Kent State's Usama Young (Largo,
Md.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National
Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Golden
Flashes' 36-16 victory over Central Florida this past Saturday.
The freshman cornerback had four of Kent State's eight takeaways
against UCF. In only his third career start, he intercepted two
passes and had two fumble recoveries. Young also made five tackles,
including four unassisted.
Young's interceptions and first fumble recovery came on consecutive
Central Florida possessions during a 10-minute stretch of the second
half and dashed any chances of a Golden Knights' comeback from a
For the third straight season, a panel from the Football Writers
Association of America (FWAA) selects the winner of the weekly award
on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is announced
each Tuesday throughout the season.
Young will be added to the Watch List for the 2003 Bronko Nagurski
Trophy which will be presented on Dec. 8 in Charlotte, N.C., by
the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2003 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech
• Sept. 16: Jamaal Brimmer, UNLV
• Sept. 23: Corey Webster, LSU
• Sept. 30: Usama Young, Kent State
• Oct. 7: Dave Ball, UCLA
• Oct. 14: Jorge Cordova, Nevada
• Oct. 21: Keiwan Ratliff, Florida
• Oct. 28: Janssen Patton, Bowling Green
• Nov. 4: Derrick Johnson, Texas
• Nov. 11: Erik Coleman, Washington State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club