DALLAS (FWAA) – LSU's Corey Webster (Vacherie,
La.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National
Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Tigers'
17-10 victory over Georgia this past Saturday.
The junior cornerback made nine tackles (eight unassisted), intercepted
a pass, collected five pass deflections and added a quarterback
pressure against Georgia. His interception of a David Greene pass
at the LSU 22-yard line with less than a minute remaining assured
the Tigers the victory. The 6-0, 201-pounder now has 10 career interceptions.
For the third straight season, a panel from the Football Writers
Association of America (FWAA) selects the winner of the weekly award
on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is announced
each Tuesday throughout the season.
Webster will be added to the Watch List for the 2003 Bronko Nagurski
Trophy which will be presented on Dec. 8 in Charlotte, N.C., by
the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2003 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech
• Sept. 16: Jamaal Brimmer, UNLV
• Sept. 23: Corey Webster, LSU
• Sept. 30: Usama Young, Kent State
• Oct. 7: Dave Ball, UCLA
• Oct. 14: Jorge Cordova, Nevada
• Oct. 21: Keiwan Ratliff, Florida
• Oct. 28: Janssen Patton, Bowling Green
• Nov. 4: Derrick Johnson, Texas
• Nov. 11: Erik Coleman, Washington State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club