DALLAS (FWAA) – UNLV strong safety Jamaal Brimmer
(Las Vegas, Nev.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski
National Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in
the Rebels' 23-5 upset win at Wisconsin this past Saturday.
The junior returned a fumble 55 yards for a touchdown, set up
two other touchdowns with his first two career interceptions and
had two sacks among his game-high 11 tackles. He also forced a fumble.
Brimmer had 65 yards on his interception returns. Both turnovers
led to Rebel scoring drives of 14 and 24 yards. The UNLV defense
forced five Wisconsin turnovers and held the Badgers without an
offensive touchdown at home for the first time since 1995.
For the third straight season, an 8-member panel from the Football
Writers Association of America (FWAA) will select the winner of
the weekly award on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The
winner is announced each Tuesday throughout the season.
Brimmer is on the Watch List for the 2003 Bronko Nagurski Trophy
which will be presented on Dec. 8 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA
and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2003 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech
• Sept. 16: Jamaal Brimmer, UNLV
• Sept. 23: Corey Webster, LSU
• Sept. 30: Usama Young, Kent State
• Oct. 7: Dave Ball, UCLA
• Oct. 14: Jorge Cordova, Nevada
• Oct. 21: Keiwan Ratliff, Florida
• Oct. 28: Janssen Patton, Bowling Green
• Nov. 4: Derrick Johnson, Texas
• Nov. 11: Erik Coleman, Washington State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club