DALLAS (FWAA) – Arizona State junior defensive end Terrell Suggs (Chandler, Ariz.)
is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week Award
for his performance in the Sun Devils' win over Washington this past Saturday.
In the 27-16 win, Suggs had a game-high 12 tackles, five solos, including 6.5 tackles for
loss (minus-44 yards) – 4.5 of which were sacks (for minus-36 yards) – and forced
a fumble. The 4.5 sacks raised Suggs to 17.5 sacks for the year, which ties the NCAA
single-season record. ASU's defense limited Washington to 42 yards rushing, 252 yards total
offense and registered eight sacks.
A three-person panel from the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) selects the
winner of the weekly award.
The FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club pick a National Defensive Player of the Week each
Monday. Suggs will be added to the Watch List for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy which will be presented
on Dec. 9 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2002 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Maurice Sikes, Miami
• Sept. 16: Shane Walton, Notre Dame
• Sept. 23: Willie Pile, Virginia Tech
• Sept. 30: R.J. Jones, Missouri
• Oct. 7: Matt Grier, Mississippi
• Oct. 14: Corey Webster, LSU
• Oct. 21: Brandon Everage, Oklahoma
• Oct. 28: Terrell Suggs, Arizona State
• Nov. 4: Josh Ott, Boston College
• Nov. 11: Bobby Walker, Kansas State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club