DALLAS (FWAA) – LSU junior cornerback Corey Webster (Vacherie, La.)
is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week Award
for his performance in the Tigers' 36-7 win over Florida this past Saturday in Gainesville.
Webster tied a school-record with three interceptions last Saturday. He is only the sixth
player in Tiger history to have three interceptions in a game and the first since 1978. His
first interception set up an LSU field goal to give the Tigers a 3-0 lead. He returned the
second interception 45 yards for a touchdown and a 10-0 LSU lead. His third pick came in the
fourth quarter. He also added three tackles and three pass deflections in the game.
A three-person panel from the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) selects the
winner of the weekly award.
The FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club pick a National Defensive Player of the Week each
Monday. Webster will be added to the Watch List for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy which will be presented
on Dec. 9 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2002 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Maurice Sikes, Miami
• Sept. 16: Shane Walton, Notre Dame
• Sept. 23: Willie Pile, Virginia Tech
• Sept. 30: R.J. Jones, Missouri
• Oct. 7: Matt Grier, Mississippi
• Oct. 14: Corey Webster, LSU
• Oct. 21: Brandon Everage, Oklahoma
• Oct. 28: Terrell Suggs, Arizona State
• Nov. 4: Josh Ott, Boston College
• Nov. 11: Bobby Walker, Kansas State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club