DALLAS (FWAA) – Missouri senior cornerback R.J. Jones (Mountain
View, Calif.) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player
of the Week Award for his performance in the Tigers' 44-7 win over Troy State this
past Saturday in Columbia.
Jones tied an MU single-game record with three interceptions and returned the last one
39 yards to set up a Tiger field goal. He also broke up three passes on the afternoon and
had two tackles, including one for a loss, in the game. Jones was part of a Tiger defense
that held Troy State to 300 yards and seven points, well below the Trojans' averages of
402 yards and 23.5 points per game coming into Saturday's contest.
A three-person panel from the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) selects the
winner of the weekly award.
The FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club pick a National Defensive Player of the Week each
Monday. Pile will be added to the Watch List for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy which will be presented
on Dec. 9 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2002 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Maurice Sikes, Miami
• Sept. 16: Shane Walton, Notre Dame
• Sept. 23: Willie Pile, Virginia Tech
• Sept. 30: R.J. Jones, Missouri
• Oct. 7: Matt Grier, Mississippi
• Oct. 14: Corey Webster, LSU
• Oct. 21: Brandon Everage, Oklahoma
• Oct. 28: Terrell Suggs, Arizona State
• Nov. 4: Josh Ott, Boston College
• Nov. 11: Bobby Walker, Kansas State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club