DALLAS (FWAA) – Arkansas linebacker Jermaine Petty was
named the Bronko Nagurski Defensive Player of the Week on Monday
by a panel of FWAA members for the second time in three weeks.
The FWAA (Football Writers Association of America) and the Charlotte
Touchdown Club picked a Defensive Player of the Week for 10 weeks this season.
Petty is already on the Watch List for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy which
will be presented on Dec. 10 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA and the Charlotte
Petty, a 6-2, 257-pound senior, made 14 tackles, including four tackles
for loss (minus-11 yards) in Arkansas' 24-21 win over Mississippi State.
Petty made nine unassisted tackles and earned a half sack (minus-3 yards).
He also had two quarterback knockdowns and a quarterback hurry.
2001 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week:
• Sept. 10: James King, Central Michigan
• Sept. 24: Julius Peppers, North Carolina
• Oct. 1: Dan Dawson, Rice
• Oct. 8: Roy Williams, Oklahoma
• Oct. 15: E.J. Henderson, Maryland
• Oct. 22: Bob Sanders, Iowa
• Oct. 29: Jamie Burrow, Nebraska
• Nov. 5: Jermaine Petty, Arkansas
• Nov. 12: Eugene Wilson, Illinois
• Nov. 19: Jermaine Petty, Arkansas
• Sept. 24: Charlotte Touchdown Club changes award